please note applications for this position are now closed. shortlisted candidates will be contacted in due course.
Job Title: Communications and Campaigns Officer (maternity cover)
Reporting to: Head of Office of Plan International EU Office
Responsible for: Engaging EU stakeholders in Plan International’s work and raising awareness of Plan International’s messages through multi-platform communications
Based in: Brussels, Plan International EU Office
Duration: 1 February - 28 October 2016
Status: Full time
Overall purpose of the job
To raise Plan International’s profile as an expert on child rights and gender equality in EU development policy, and as a reliable and trusted partner for the European Institutions, through consistent, professional, multi-platform communications.
Strategy and implementation
- In collaboration with International Headquarters, take a leading role in the development and implementation of Girls’ Voices as part of the Because I am a Girl campaign throughout 2016;
- Lead on all aspects of the European Week of Action for Girls 2016 for Plan International EU Office, ensuring consistency and alignment with Plan International’s global activities and messaging around the International Day of the Girl Child;
- In collaboration with the EU funding team, support and build capacity within the organisation to produce quality communication outputs for EC-funded projects, including providing support to National and Country Offices to develop high quality communications and visibility plans;
- Support the communications work of Plan Europe National Offices and Plan International Country Offices on EU-related issues, particularly relating to the mid-term review of the EU Multiannual Financial Framework 2014-2020;
- Lead on all aspects of Plan International EU Office’s internal and external communications work, including the creation and drafting of high quality, relevant content for the Plan International EU Office website and social media channels;
- Ensure the proper implementation of the Plan International brand by Plan International EU Office;
- To develop media communication, including drafting press briefings and press releases, their distribution to the target groups and monitor press clippings;
- To maintain and strengthen relationships with communication departments of EU institutions, UN Agencies, partner CSOs and EU media;
- To build and promote partnerships across the organisation and beyond, representing Plan International EU Office on all relevant communication networks within Plan International;
- To represent Plan International EU at meetings with EU institutions and other external stakeholders as well as at conferences, seminars and other media or policy events;
- To provide communications support for the visits from other Plan International offices to Brussels.
- To monitor Plan International EU Office’s communication budget and ensure that all budget reporting requirements are adhered to and are of a high quality.
- In collaboration with the Senior Policy and Advocacy Manager, supervise the work of the Advocacy and Communications Assistant;
- Lead capacity building workshops for Plan International EU Office staff on relevant aspects of communications, and support staff members in the creation of communications content.
- To keep abreast of the current development and humanitarian aid issues, and communications trends;
- To work cooperatively and supportively with the wider Plan Europe team and other Plan International entities;
- To ensure that all activities undertaken on behalf of Plan International, externally or internally, are executed in accordance with the overall aims of the organisation and in line with Plan International’s policies and procedures;
- To participate in training and other activities as requested by the organisation.
Knowledge and experience
- At least 5 years of relevant communications related work experience;
- Knowledge of Child Rights and/or International Human Rights;
- Proven expertise in EU external Policy;
- MA or equivalent in a relevant field (Development, European Studies, Human Rights, Communication, Journalism, Political Science, etc.);
- Experience in international work environments and intercultural communication;
- Experience with media an asset.
- Excellent communication, networking, and inter-personal skills;
- Innovative and creative thinking in relation to communication;
- Proven excellence in writing and editing skills in English, to native level. French, Spanish or Portuguese would be an asset;
- Good knowledge of video editing, web and layout design an asset.
- Commitment to the organisation’s vision and mission;
- Proactive and independent professional capable of working equally well autonomously and as part of a team;
- Flexible, willing to share information and to take up various tasks done in a small office;
- Capacity to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Willingness to travel if necessary.
How to apply?
To apply for the position, please send a single page letter outlining your motivation for and approach to the post, together with your CV (no europass, no photos) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 02 December 2015, 17.00 Central European Time, with the subject “APPLICATION: Communications and campaigns officer (maternity cover)”.
Interviews will take place in Brussels or via skype week commencing 14 December 2015.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.