REFERENCE: EiE Consultant to conduct study in Central African Republic
Duration: 30 working days
Location: CAR & Home-based
Start of the provision of services: 27th March 2019
Plan International proposes to undertake a study on the impact of armed conflicts on the right to education, specifically for girls and young women, in CAR.
It is fundamental to deepen knowledge of the consequences of armed conflict and education under attack on girls and youth women on the right to education, especially of girls and young women, in a holistic way, and insisting on gender specific issues; as well as analyzing how states are committed to defending this right also in situations of armed conflict, even giving a specific character to educational institutions, which are transformed into war scenarios.
Specifically, in the Central African Republic, there was an armed conflict (2004-2007) that was generated by the rebellion of a group against the president; in 2013 there was a breakdown of the ceasefire with a coup in 2013 and a peace agreement in 2015; nevertheless, the situation of violence remains in the country.
How have girls been affected in their right to education in such a long-term armed conflict, and in a country where instability is a fact? In this study we intend to deepen on the subject based upon the evolving context as well as Plan International’s education intervention.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SERVICES TO BE PROVIDED:
2.1. Main functions
- Conduct secondary data analysis
- Design tools for primary data collection
- Conduct primary data in CAR including:
- Observation techniques
- Key Informant Interviews to include girls and young women
(taking into account variables of intersectionality, such as functional diversity), teachers, caregivers, families, community leaders, government stakeholders including MoE staff, local authorities, Plan International and other INGOs/local NGO staff members (this is not exhaustive)
- Focus Group Discussions with girls/young women (taking into account variables of intersectionality, such as functional diversity), including those attending Plan International Education Programmes and their caregivers
- Conduct primary data analysis
- Draft report to include context analysis, primary and secondary data analysis and key conclusions and recommendations, based upon format agreed with Plan International
*It will be valued that the person has a database of possible key informants to interview. In any case, she/he will have the support of Plan in CAR for the detection of these informants and the management of the contacts. All the informants will be validated by Plan International Spain before proceeding with the execution of the fieldwork.
All this work will be carried out under the supervision and active participation of the research team of Plan International Spain.
Knowledge in the study area:
- Education in Emergency with experience in conflict settings and knowledge of the Safe schools declaration and guidelines for protecting schools and universities from military use during armed conflict.
- Rights-based-approach to education programming
Experience in developing and writing studies using multiple technique:
- Secondary data analysis
- Primary data collection and analysis including: direct observation, FGDs, KIIs
- Report writing
- Experience working in countries where education has been/is under attack, preferably in CAR
- At least 4 years experience in undertaking studies/reports
- French and English
- Systematization, information analysis
- Contact with possible key informants relevant to the study:
o Education stakeholders and institutions
o Gubernamental representatives
o Girls and young women
- More than 2 years in the field ( preferably in CAR or in the West and Central African Region)
- More than 4 years developing information gathering techniques (participant observation and in-depth interviews)
The proposals will be evaluated according to their technical content.
TERM OF AWARD AND FORMALISATION:
The contract will be awarded at the latest 26th of March 2019
The contract will have a time of duration from its signature until the end of the service activity implementation above mentioned.
PRESENTATION OF PROPOSALS:
Interested applicants who meet the requirements defined in these Terms of
Reference may send their CV in English to Violeta Castaño, indicating on the title
in the subject “ EiE Expert CAR”: email@example.com
Deadline for receipt of applications: 20th March 2019 at 12hs (local
time in Madrid).
Any complaints regarding these Terms of Reference may be addressed to the